School History
01 HISTORY

St. Joseph's College, founded in 1884, by the Capuchin Friars of the province of Ancona and Bologna, Italy, is an English Medium college for boys. It is owned and managed by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Allahabad. It is a private, minority and unaided (Anglo Indian) school. It exists primarily to educate Catholic boys, but is open to other boys as well, without discrimination of caste, creed and culture.

The College has nurtures students through the 20th Century and flourishes in the 21st century as well, with an unblemished service to the cause of education.

The school began with a small parochial school for the Catholic Parish, first located in a rented house. The Foundation stone of the building was laid by Rt. Rev. Dr. Francis Pesci on 1st January, 1884. Bishop Angelo Poli called this little school, St. Joseph's Collegiate. In 1887, it became a middle school, recognized as 'European High School', affiliated to Cambridge University. In 1907, it directly came under the Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Allahabad and the Parish Priest of St. Joseph's Cathedral. It was handed over to the Irish Christian Brothers of Nainital in 1908 and they looked after it till 1916, when Bishop Gamigna took over. With a boarding of 26 students, the number went up to 63 in 1920. Rev. Fr. Camilus, OFM Cap. extended the school building in 1922 and with the coming of Msgr. O' Hogan, the new headmaster in 1921, the school reached the pinnacle of glory and continues to stand tall even today owing to the hard work and dedication of all the Principals, Vice-Principals, Headmasters and Teachers, who have left no stone unturned in imparting knowledge, through value based instruction to over 5000 students every year.

Every Josephite is trained to live up to the motto of the institution, 'Semper Sursum' which in Latin means 'ALWAYS AIM HIGH'.

We endeavour to mould young minds by strengthening them socially, morally, emotionally and intellectually, presenting to the society at large, a man of principles and firm conviction.

we strive towards building a person who:

- has respect for human values
- can stand up for what is right
- is able to accept both success and failure in the right spirit
- has the ability to adjust effectively to the physical and emotional changes through different stages of life
- respects work and puts service before self
- has the ability to develop skills and techniques for self improvement and improvement of the society
- has a thirst for knowledge
- has the capacity for critical thinking and logical reasoning
- is able to understand and appreciate Indian Cultural Heritage and that of the other countries as well
- respects himself, his parents, elders and the opposite sex.

The swimming pool was added in the year 1974. The boarding was closed in 1980 & the existing buildings were converted into biology & physics laboratories along with four class rooms. In 1983 the commerce section was added by Rev. Fr. Thomas D’Souza. However, it had to be closed due to unavoidable reasons in 1991. In 1984 was the centenary year of the college. Mrs. Indira Gandhi, the Prime minister of the India, was to be the chief guest but she was assassinated just a week before and all the celebrations had to cancelled. Rev. Fr. Stany Michael D’Souza constructed the steps around the boundary wall and a concrete road leading the Cathedral during his tenure 1988 to 1997.

In 2009, another wing ‘Jubilee Block’ was added to the junior section with a broad staircase and an elevator by the present principal Rev. Fr. Louis Mascarenhas. to mark the 125th year. Many other projects were taken up such as an open Stage and portico in front of the old building with a magnificent statue of St. Joseph. Reading room was named after Fr. Rego and renovated with full air condition with help of the batch of 1985. Chemistry lab was given running L.P. Gas line with help of the batch of 1986.1987 batch came up with a proposal to build a CAFETERIA. Lawn Tennis Court was added in the year 2013 with the help of 1988 batch. Fr. Rego Scholar Award and Rego English Excellence award was instituted for the toppers of ICSE by the batches of 1974 and 1988 respectively. Digital class rooms were introduced in and E care department was added in the year 2011. A new stage was constructed in the Hogan Hall and the staff room was shifted near the reading room in the year 2012. Three more class rooms were added above the Chemistry lab and Music Room and Art room above the cafeteria. Vijayanta, the first Indian manufactured battle tank of the Indian Army. Dedicated to future generations of Josephites By Alumni of this institution who joined the Indian Army May this trophy symbolizing the gallant Indian Armed Forces motivate the future generations of the school to achieve unprecedented glory in every field of their endeavor. The “Vijayanta” tank is an indigenously made tank. It was introduced after the 1971 war and it has seen action during Ex Brasstack, OP VIJAY and OP PARAKRAM. It is known and praised in several countries for its excellent gunnery which has all been made by Indian Scientist. It weighs 37 tons and has a 105 mm. Smooth bore main gun. It has a crew of three persons-a commander, a gunner and a driver. It has infrared night vision capability also. Fr. Antony K.K. also restarted the Old boys association. Sharad Verma Memorial Inter school debate competition was instituted in memory of Late Sharad Verma, an Alumnus. With the arrival of Rev.Fr. Louis Mascarenhas in the year 2005 began a new era. He restarted the commerce section in 2006. In the year 2007 a state of art Computer Lab was added followed by a toilet block.



Presented By Air Chief Marshal Nak Browne Pvsm tAvsm Vm Adc Chief Of Th Air Staff On 03 Apr 12


DURING HIS VISIT TO THE SCHOOL

AIR CHIEF IS AN ALUMNUS OF THE SCHOOL AND STUDIED AT ST JOSEPH’S FROM 12 JAN 1961 TO MAR 1966

C-1609 MIG-21 T-96 aircraft was manufactured at Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. Nasik in the year 1976-77. This aircraft was commissioned in Indian Air Force on 15 Sep 77. It can fly at max speed of 2.1 mach, max takeoff weight 9872 Kgs endurance 2.15 hrs and ‘g’ 8.5 g.

C-1609 has flown in the IAF for 32 yrs (3160:55) airframe hrs and 4950 landings). Flew for the last time in 35 Sqn (Lucknow) on 30 Mar 10.

The aircraft was dedicated to the school by Air Chief Marshal NAK Browne, PVSM, AVSM, VM, ADC, Chief of the Air Staff, Indian Air Force, an ALUMNUS of St. Joseph’s College on 4-April-2014

02 Post Centenary Silver Jubilee Messages